POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life's little problems : Life's little problems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Life's little problems
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Jun 2010 14:09:46
Message: <4c0d35ea@news.povray.org>
Today, I had an idea. I could set my video camera up on the drive way,
film myself dancing to my favourit music, and post the results on YouTube.

You immediately see the problem with this, don't you? Yes, that's right:
the minor detail of "copywrite infringement".

OK, so a bunch of guys spent ages making this music. I respect that. But
the thing is, it's not like I can *ask* for permission. "The copyright
to this recording is owned by EMI Records Ltd." Uh, yeah, right. And if
I write to EMI Records Ltd (assuming I can even find a postal address),
what are the chances of ever getting a reply, never mind a reply in the
affirmative?

Now obviously it's their property and if they don't want me to use it,
they have the right to do that. It's not like I have the God-given right
to distribute their stuff just because it's convinient to me. It's just
frustrating, that's all. Basically the only way I can upload this video
is if I dance to some of my own music (i.e., written and performed by
me). And that'll be a blast. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/